Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Wrap-Up

Wait...what? 2014 is almost over? Where did the time go? For the most part I didn’t blog at all this year. Little did I know that marathon training was almost a full time (ok, more like part time) job. I put allot of little things on hold while I worked on my own personal goals this year. For that, I’m sorry for those who came to read and found nothing. But I’m not that sorry, because I learned so much about myself and have so many wonderful memories from this year. 

So lets wrap up the year with one really long blog post. :)


In February I ran my first ever 15k. I was scared, nervous, and completely apprehensive. But I finished! Never stopped and it felt amazing to be considered a long distance runner, considering that my running average from years past was 150 miles and most of my runs never really went over 3-4 miles. But I didn’t stop there. A month later I completed a half-marathon, which in turn lead me to want to do a full marathon. Ergo training started shortly after that and went through the summer. 
Ethan after riding Space Mountain!

I did take a small break from running during the summer to spend time with our family, celebrate Ethan's 8th birthday and take a family-moon to Disney World and Universal Studios in Florida. While I’ve taken Ethan here before, it was so very special to see Ethan overcome his fears of “big-boy roller coasters” and share that experience with the MusicMan. Those two are like two little peas in a pod at times - it warms my heart how much they love and care for each other.


Shortly after we came back, the MusicMan started the adoption process of Ethan. This is something he and I had talked about since he proposed and it meant allot to him to adopt Ethan. He wanted Ethan to know that no matter what he will always be there for him and that he cares for him as if Ethan is of his own flesh and blood. Ethan didn’t fully understand at first why he was being adopted, because in his mind when the MusicMan and I got married, he automatically became “daddy J”. 



It’s hard to explain to a child that a step-parent has no legal rights when it comes to step-children and we wanted to make sure that Ethan was always taken care of if anything were to ever happen to me. But we explained it the best way we could and Ethan was excited to now have the longest name ever known to man since we hyphenated his name. The adoption was completed the Monday before Thanksgiving...just one more thing we were thankful for this year. 


I ran the names of 63 cancer fighters, survivors
& fallen warriors through the streets of Chicago.

In October, I ran the Chicago Marathon. That was one of the most amazing experiences and one that I will always remember. The race was held on the same day as the 6 year anniversary of Christopher’s passing and I woke up that morning with so many butterflies in my stomach I wasn’t sure if I could finish before I had even started. As I waited for the race to start I questioned if I should have picked this race and run on a day with so much meaning; yes in good ole “d” fashion I began to over think things. There were times I felt weak and in those times I thought back to 6 years ago when I sat at my kitchen table, to the day that life changed - I had changed. I knew that I was no longer that woman who sat at that table feeling mad at the world and sad for what life had brought her. I was the woman who could look at the beauty that life now put in front of me and see the blessings that this world has to offer. Christopher is no longer in pain and he is surrounded by light and love. I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in this new life with the MusicMan by my side. His love and understanding surpasses anything I could have asked for and he truly is a blessing in all of our lives. I found strength when I thought I had none. I have overcome so much fear that there is no place for it to hide in my head. At one point while I ran I cried. For the strength I found in myself was so overwhelming. Not to mention that the MusicMan, Ethan and the MusicMan’s brother’s family were there about every 4-5 miles cheering me on. I hope everyone out there that reads this post has a support system as great as the one I do. 


While we were in Chicago and over the Thanksgiving break I was able to spend some time with some of my nieces and nephews that I don’t always get to see. I never truly understood the joy that it is to have those little kiddos in my life until this year. To watch and see children grow and learn is an amazing thing. The joy that comes over their faces when they see you, point, say your name and give you a hug. It’s like watching your own child grow; only the leaps and bounds are greater because you don’t get to see them every day; but with each time you do see them you understand and appreciate even more the love that comes from family. 

I also was able, shortly after the marathon, to donate over a foot of hair to Locks of Love. This was my third donation and each time it's an emotional one, but this one was ever so more. Knowing that the hair I donated had been through so much this year with training, it was as if I was passing along a little strength to those who will receive that gift. 

This year has been such a blessed year for our family and I hope that this year found your family well too.

Pax





No comments: