Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Genetic Testing

Yesterday, Christopher left his doctor's appointment with them scratching their heads. Christopher's numbers have gone up yet again, which makes no sense to them what so ever. In the three months that had pasted between CT Scans his numbers jumped 600 points and they prepared us for growth. However, that was no the news we got (more head scratching) - we got it's stable and not growing. Then yesterday more news of numbers going up, but no growth....

So they took some blood and sending it out to California for genetic testing. They are trying to see if Christopher has this certain mutated gene that happens in about 30% of people who have cancer. Which means that he has a 70% chance of not having this mutated thingy. The doctors are hoping this will shed some light on the reason his numbers are going up, but that there is no growth.

My personal thoughts are that this herbal stuff he is on is causing his numbers to go up. From everything that I have read, the CEA numbers measure cancer bi-product in the blood (doesn't mean if it's alive or dead bi-product, just what's floating around). So could it be that the herbal stuff is working an breaking up the cancer and while it leaves a wake in it's path his numbers go up.

So again Christopher has doctor's scratching parts of their bodies and wondering - "what the..." We will find out about the gene in about a week, so I will keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Mitzi said...

Denise, I just wanted to let yall know that I blogged about you all on our blog today. I hope that is okay, I just realized I did not get your permission first--let me know if this is okay. My heart and prayers are with yall!