Friday, September 12, 2008

Who Said Not To Talk to Strangers

One day, I was out at Target getting diapers and I saw a woman with a scarf around her head and her face was a little sunken in. I knew right off the bat, this woman has cancer and is going through some type of treatment.

I watched other woman walk past her, teenagers snickering, looking at her as if she had the plague. I didn't know what stage her cancer was nor did I care. She had cancer and I wanted to make sure she got a smile out of me. With Ethan in tow in the front of our basket, I wheeled up to her and said "Hi, good afternoon."

She smiled and greeted us back. I think without saying a word, we both knew what the other was thinking and it warmed my heart from the inside out. Ethan gave her a "bump" which I had to explain to her, but she laughed, smiled and bumped him back.

While I can never imagine what someone with cancer goes through; I do know what it does to them physically, but if I can make one person smile - that's all that matters to me. Cancer doesn't have to be a scare thing for anyone as long as there is someone there who is willing to smile and let us know that we are not alone.

No comments: