Monday, September 15, 2008

What Makes You Stronger

One of my favorite phrases is "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger". It's powerful in the respect that who wants to go through something that could possibly kill us or hurt us enough to say, it could be worse.

However in life, God throws us a curve ball and it's up to us to see the blessing in it and help our faith get a little stronger. When going through college I thought the hardest thing in my life was trying to find a job and plan a wedding. Little did I know looking back seven years later - that was a cake walk.

Two months before our wedding, we lost my grandfather. It was so quick and sudden. He passed away on a Monday and Christopher and I had been there that weekend before. Little did I know that would be the last time I would see him. I'll admit, I was furious with God. Why two months before our wedding, why. Could this not wait till afterwards. I had always dreamed of having my grandfather at my wedding sharing in the joy of the day.

It wasn't till 4 years later when I understood. The phone rang at 6am one morning; it was my father. All I really remember of that phone call was, "Sweetheart, the 17th street levee broke - you know where that is?" I responded half asleep, "Yes.... Gran's house is gone isn't it." I don't remember much else of the conversation other than hanging up the phone and crying my self back to sleep. Work seemed trivial that day compared to what my family was going through. But as time went on I saw God's plan.

That October, Christopher and I became pregnant. It was so clear. By losing my grandfather when my grandmother did - it showed her she could live on her own and re-teach herself the things that my Grandfather used to do. She needed to learn this, so she could do it again when Katrina took her house away from her. Katrina also had her move to Houston, closer to us and closer to her great grandchild. Ethan was the first great grandchild she was able to be there for his birth. And I think that meant allot to her. God's plan was coming clear.

A year and half later, Christopher was told he had cancer and I often find my self trying to figure out God's plan for this one. But at this point, I'll leave it in his hands. I know that everything happens for a reason and I may never figure it out - but that is God's plan.

This past Saturday, Hurricane Ike came through Houston. And while he spared my parents and grandmother's home - he took the home of some of my aunts and uncles in Bridge City. We have heard that there are dead fish and snakes everywhere. Almost sounds like something out of a movie. However, we are a strong family that has always risen above the challenges that are put in front of us. And my aunts and uncles will bounce back from this in time. Yet again, God has a plan. And what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I got your blog from Devine Memories. I am praying for you & your family. You should get the book "And Jesus Healed Them All" by Gloria Copeland and/or Dodie Osteen's book on healing. Let me share a powerful word for you to declare with boldness each & every day.
"The gospel that I have heard is the power of God unto salvation. I confess Jesus Christ as Lord over my life: spirit, soul & body. I receive the power of God to make me sound, whole, delivered, saved & healed. Now! I act on the Word of God & I reeive th power of God. Sickneww, disease, pain, I resist you in the Name of Jesus. You are not the will of God. I enforce the Word of God on you. I will not tolerate you in my life. Leave my presence. I will never allow you back. My days of sickness & disease are over! I am healed. I am saved. The power of sickness has been forever broken over my life. Jesus bore my sickness, weakness & pain. I am forever free. Sickness shall no longer lord it over me. Sin shall no longer lord it over me. Fear shall no longer lord it over me. Satan shall no longer lord it over me. I have been redeemed from the curse of the law. I proclaim my freedom in Jesus' Name. TODAY the gospel is the power of God to me unto salvation. I receive the gospel. I act on the gospel. I am made whole in Jesus'Name! I am healed in the Name of Jesus!!" Then begin thanking the Lord you shall walk in Devine health, that you shall live & not die according to His Word. Just remember it is God's will for you to be healed, your faith and you words cannot operate beyond your knowledge of God's Word. Meditate & stand on the healing scriptures such as Exodus 23:25-26, Psalm 91:16, Psalm 103:2-3. To live free from sickness, you must plant the Word of God concerning healing in your heart. Let your faith rise up & delcare that healing belongs to you! Remember God never changes, He is the same yesterday, today & forever. God is in the healing business forever! If you need any help finding books or cds on healing just let me know, I will get them & send you them to you. God Bless, Sandy Kleck,
sek14@sbcglobal.net

Colleen said...

Denise,
I read your story off of Deanna Silvestre's photography blog.
I think I live just a couple miles north of you. I want to help in any way I can. If you can email me your phone # or someone who is coordinating assistance I will gladly help. colleen@sosbee.net
I am praying for your family.