Thursday, January 15, 2009

Can I Get A Diaper Change Over Here?

So, I have to share with everyone what I recently witness Ethan doing. It was a sight I must tell you. Let me set the stage.

My parents had just left to go back to Houston and Ethan was watching his Veggie Tales in the living room while I was cleaning the kitchen. While unloading the dishwasher I noticed that Ethan opened the door to the coffee table and pulled out a diaper, his wipes and baby powder.

So I raised one eye brow and asked Ethan, "Boogie, do you need your diaper changed?"

I resounding "No" came back to me from the living room. So I watched in mere curiosity and bewilderment as to what he was going to do with these items that really only have one purpose in life. The next thing I know, he starts to take off his pants. Again I ask him if he needs his diaper changed and again a resounding "No".

So while I was standing in the kitchen watching from afar and trying to figure out what he is trying to do and trying to anticipate how I will "come to the rescue at what ever he does" - HE TAKES HIS DIAPER OFF.

*PLOP* was the sounds of a poopy diaper hitting the floor. My heart stopped for a moment, till I noticed that the diaper landed right side up. Thank goodness.

Then what to my wonder eyes to do I see, but Ethan taking out his wipes and wiping his bottom (the front and the back) and all the while never noticing that I am watching this whole thing unfold.

Once he felt like he was adequately clean down there, he unfolded the clean diaper and attempted to put it on. To make a long story short; after 15 minutes of fighting and grunting he did get his diaper on by himself (not well I will add, but it was on his bottom). He then brought me his pants (now noticing that I was standing there watching the whole thing) and asked me to put them on him. (I used that time to fix the diaper as well).

He was so proud of him self. He's done this several time since then too and I'm thinking it's time for pull-ups!

It's times like these that I wish Christopher was here to see all that Ethan can do or does that makes me smile. Christopher was always the bolstering father, always showing Ethan off to anyone that would stop and listen. This would have been a story that he would tell those people. So in honor of him - I share this story as his bolstering Mom.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That is awesome!! One less thing for you to worry about- ha!
Way to go Ethan :)

Anonymous said...

I know that Christopher watched that entire event take place, all the while smiling and laughing as any of us would do to see Ethan conquer his diaper. That story makes me smile and we love him like one of our own.