Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Day Muppet!

Dear Muppet,

Today for you is like any other, we got up, I dropped you off at school and soon I will pick you up and we will do our nightly routine. Today for you, is like any Monday. Today for me is a little different.

Three years ago today I was three days over my due date, big as a house and couldn't wait to see what God graced us with - a little boy or a little girl. I personally didn't care as long as you were healthy. The night before you were born I asked your Daddy a question, "Love (that was my nickname for your Daddy), what do you think we are having?"

Your Dad looked off into space, his eyes glazed over and fought back the tears as he said, "I don't care as long as I am a good dad; I need to prove that to my self. That I am better..." his quiver in his voice took over and your Daddy began to shed more tears over the love he didn't even know yet had for you.

I gave your daddy the much needed hug that I think we both needed and told him he would. Then I rolled over and prayed what was at the time the hardest I had ever prayed; that God would grace us with a little boy. A little boy that would show his Daddy that he was, would be and forever always be the best dad any little boy could ever want or dream of having.

The next night you were born at 9:50pm. Your Daddy teared up again as he held you in his arms and told me, "Ethan is here". You, my muppet, were the most perfect little thing I had ever seen. You were and are the perfect mix of your father and I. You have his face, but you captured his soul with my eyes. Looking at the two of you look into each others eyes I knew from that moment that you two would always have a special bond - one that would transcend time and space. You were his boy. His "precious baby boy" as John Lennon puts it; a song that reminded him of you. A song he head close to his heart and listened to it often.

I don't know why God thought it was your Daddy's time to go, but know that you two had a very, very remarkable bond. One that I can only hope to live up to one day. He loves you Ethan even from the heavens above he looks down on you and smiles at the great steps you have taken in this last year. Your vocabulary is booming and you and I converse in the most Ethan-isc conversations that make me laugh and help gives me hope for our future and what lies ahead of us. You are our muppet and always will be our muppet, even when your 33 or 103. We are so proud of you and the years ahead, while your path might be filled with questions, know that I am here to answer them the best I can and those I can't; I pray that time and your resilience in character find them for you.

I love you Muppet, Happy Birthday!






No comments: