Wednesday, June 11, 2008

CTCA - Day 3

Today was an early day for us. Christopher's MRI was set for 7:30am and he did really well considering he doesn't like tight confind spaces. (Way to go Christopher, I'm so proud of you!)

From there we have seen all sorts of doctors. The first was a nutritionist who said we were doing all the right things and eating all the right foods. She said Christopher was at good weight and wants us to try and keep him around the 170-180lb marker (for his height and build he really shouldn't go over 180lbs). So that was nice to hear. And I found out that the person who wrote the book I based our diets off of was actually a Doctor who worked for CTCA several years ago; which again was nice to hear.

Next we had an appointment with a "pain manager" who is trying to get Christopher's feet under control. The guy reminded me of Patch Adams. Lets put it this way; the doc walks in and says, "what brings you in today?" Christopher explains the issues with the numbness and tingling in his feet. The doctor looks at him and says, "And why do you think that is?" I looked at the doc with one eye brow raised and said, "from chemo."

"What Chemo, why are you taking chemo?", says the doc. By this time I was about to jump up and smack the doctor up side the head; until I figured it out. He was trying to prove the point that cancer should not be the main focus of your life. Christopher LOVED him, I thought he was a little batty for my taste - but he doesn't treatment me, he treats Christopher. He's changing some of Christopher's meds around to see if that helps with the numbness.

We left there and had a really nice lunch in the cafeteria and then a quite stroll around the grounds. At 2pm we met with a Naturpahic doctor - this was someone I was very intreged to meet. He was really impressed with all the research that I had done and said that he would really only suggest one other herb treatment that we might try. He suggested adding Curcumin to Christopher's supluments. He told us that they are actually trying to harness this into a chemo drug. In lab conditions, Curcumin has been known to kill cancer cells on contact (again these are lab results and cancer in your body works a little differently, but this is still a good sign on the fighting front of cancer research).

We are done for the day and tomorrow will be another long day that starts at 6:30am; PET scan, mind and body consult and a PT treatment to help with Christopher's numbness in his feet. Look for tomorrow's update and please keep us in your prayers as we start to wrap up our trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear the trip is going well. The two of you have been in ALL of our thoughts and prayers this entire week (including My Inlaws). I said a few extra prayers on Sunday at mass- to help make this trip go well, and learn some useful stuff to help get rid of this crap! We love you both very much! D---I updated www.sociallyinked.com as a little spirit booster for you while you are away!

Love you both!
Am